Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Scream Me Something Beautiful


I’m pretty tired of people telling me the type of music I listen to is “of the devil” or “Satan worship” and, by extension so am I. Just because it’s not Chris Tomlin doesn't mean that it’s evil. Most of those people talking smack about metalcore are listening to songs about "my bitches and my hos" Why on Gods green Earth would I listen to your advice on all things moral?

I've been told I must be a Satanist and evil because I listen to bands like The Devil Wears Prada and For Today which funny enough are Christian bands who worship God within their genre of music. Just because you don’t understand something does not make it wrong, just different.

I've heard people say they don’t understand a word the artist is screaming and in the same breath said they are worshiping Satan. How do you know they are worshiping Satan if you have no idea what they are saying?


I have always defended my taste in music but on occasion I've chosen to say nothing for fear of starting an argument with a narrow minded person, it's like trying to teach a two year old quantum physics. 

The Bible doesn't prohibit screaming out in worship. There are songs and psalms in the Bible which would have little impact sung choir style accompanied by a sweet piano tune, for example 2 Samuel 22. A chapter filled with war, violence and pain. For some reason I just don’t see Jesus Culture having as much an impact as Demon Hunter, As I Lay Dying or even Flyleaf would while singing “I pursued my enemies and crushed them; I did not turn back till they were destroyed. I crushed them completely, and they could not rise; they fell beneath my feet. You armed me with strength for battle; you humbled my adversaries before me. You made my enemies turn their backs in flight, and I destroyed my foes. They cried for help, but there was no one to save them” In my opinion Metalcore bands would perform the whole “I beat them as fine as the dust of the earth; I pounded and trampled them like mud in the streets” a lot better than any other genre of music. Actually thinking about it that would make a pretty epic song. (Dear Memphis May Fire, I have found your next hit.)

One of my favourite bands is Memphis May Fire who are not a Christian band but the lyricist is and he can’t help but let his passion for Christ bleed into his music. The lyricist and lead vocalist, Matty Mullins, paints us pictures of hopelessness without God and beauty in the world when you believe. They are powerful messages sung in bone chilling soul shaking screams and would lose a lot of that power if it were sung sidewalk prophets style.


Basically what I’m trying to say is if Metalcore is your thing then, rock out to it. 
Don’t be discouraged when narrow minded people tell you that it’s the work of the devil. They cannot see the power and beauty in it that you do and that’s just sad.(for them)

They are entitled to their own opinion, which you should respect but you don’t have to take shit from them. Stand up for yourself and most importantly let your freak flag fly. Who wants to be a cheap knockoff of someone else anyway? God made us different, so embrace it and be different. So what if people think you’re weird? A little secret... All the best people are.

Now Go Scream Something Beautiful!



No comments:

Post a Comment