Monday, February 17, 2014

Down & Derby #1


So every girl needs a sport they can devote their time to, otherwise we spend our time and money on shopping and by shopping I actually mean pub crawling. Don’t get me wrong going to the pub and having a few drinks with mates is awesome but not so much when it’s the middle of the week, you’ve been there every day for the past month, all the bartenders are on a first name basis with you and know how you like your whiskey.(Double in a short glass, ice and water in separate glasses on the side)

I have dabbled in a few sports myself and have always enjoyed them. After the last psychopath I dated was also my cricket partner, I unfortunately left the team when we broke up (more like ran for the forest, the hills didn't have enough hiding places) So, I haven’t really had a sport to occupy me and as a result I have “insider” jokes with the bartenders at my favourite watering hole.

NOT ANYMORE!

A friend of mine introduced me to my latest sports adventure and this time I’m not leaving for anyone!

Ladies and Gentlemen allow me to introduce ROLLER DERBY!


Basic break down of what Derby is:
A game played on either a flat track or banked track. Members of both teams wear quad skates and circle the track in packs. The pack for each team consists of a pivot and three blockers. There is also a jammer for each team on the track who tries to score points by passing opposing blockers. The pivots job is to keep control of the pack speed. The blockers job is to keep the opposing jammer from getting through the pack and to assist their own jammer through. Derby is played in two minute increments called jams. Jams continue for a twenty minute period. There are three periods in a bout.


Derby is a full contact, strategic, adrenaline pumping sport and at times is just down right flipping scary. The good kind of scary though. The kind of scary that gets your heart pumping and makes your bladder weak all at the same time but damned if you’re not going back and doing it all over again.


Everything about this sport is fantastic!

The people are amazing! They are so friendly and always eager to help you out when you are completely lost and not sure how to function with wheels on your feet. It’s difficult to not make friends with the skaters. Not to mention if you stick with it you will be able to do things you had laughed at the idea of doing a few months before. “Skate and then JUMP pffffft hahahahaha! You’re kidding right?” No, for reals, I laughed at the idea and now I can. Granted I’m pretty shit at it but just give me a few more months and we’ll chat on the subject again.


So basically Roller Derby is EPIC and if you get the opportunity to skate DO IT! You won’t regret it and you will be addicted for life!


If you think roller skating is lame. Here is Van Halen on skates: your opinion is invalid.


No comments:

Post a Comment