Monday, November 17, 2014

Down & Derby #3

Durban vs Damsels:

Dear Diary… Just kidding!

So as a few of you might know, this weekend the Slam Damsels made the trek from Johannesburg to Durban to play us Derbynites in a first ever Inter-league Bout! (SAAAAY WHAAAAT!?)

Yes that is correct, this weekend we made history baby!


This is kind of how my day went:

Around 12ish everyone rocked up at the hall to get stuff set up. 
I was late because I was magically stuck in my boyfriends room and couldn't get out… I know what you are thinking but NO! He wasn't even home. A gust of wind had slammed the door shut and broken the lock mechanism on the inside. Jarred had to come home to rescue me and eventually just cut straight through the lock to get me out. (Thank God for engineer boyfriends!)



I arrived at the hall, pale and nauseous, just in time for our off skate warm up/adrenalin dump. Once we were all warmed up and a little more at ease, we headed back into the hall and started to kit up for our bout. (I had to pee three times in the space of 10 minutes. Nervous much?)

We did an on skate warm up, headed to our team chairs in the middle of the track and waited for the bout to start. Suddenly I was no longer nervous but excited! So excited I needed to pee again!

Warm Up Vibes:
Kit Inspection Time:


The Refs, Slam Damsels and Durban Skaters all had their turn to skate around the track and were introduced to the crowed.

Our FanFlippingTastic Refs for the bout:



The Awesome SLAM DAMSELS:


And the ever so Fab DURBAN SKATERS!


The first line up was on the track and with a loud shriek of a whistle the school of big knocks was in session and the Durban girls were drooling for more hits from the Damsels who we absolutely adore and respect. 

This is kind of what I felt like inside while playing a team as rad as the Damsels:


And here is what we ACTUALLY looked like: (photos by: Blair Austin. For more pics, check out the Durban Derby Facebook page.)



Victory went to the Slam Damsels and we enjoyed every single second of skating with these epic woman. I personally learnt a heck of a lot from them and I’m so proud of all my bruises!

Click on SLAM DAMSELS to like them on Facebook. As always you can like DURBAN DERBY and THE MISSFITS by clicking on their names as well.

After a little photo shoot, hugs & loves from our spectators and a little warm down. We un-kitted, cleaned up the hall and headed home to shower.

We then headed down to Live The Venue for a little fundraising for the Team ZA girls and a party on skates.

The fundraising was awesome and the bands were EPIC! Our very own MissFits coach Andrew “Hugh Janus” Stent rocked out like a maniac with his band Habit To.


We met awesome people and may have recruited a few guys and girls to come skate with us.
I even met my first official fan. YAY! A lovely young guy named Jonathan asked if he could take a photo with me because he saw me skate and thought I was awesome. I think he saw me hit one person in front of him and remembered my name BUT I’ll take it! Hahahahahahaha!

After the bands were done and the fundraising was over, both my sisters, our friend Quan and I (along with all of my kit and luggage) piled into my sisters car and headed to our friendly 24 hour McDonalds and then home.


What a flipping rad weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment